Welcome!

Whether you stumbled upon my blog or are here to get a sneak peak of your session, I hope you enjoy your stay! Remember this is my original work; please do not copy or use my images without permission! Thank you!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sweetness *edited*

*update* I love this photo, but the grey tones have really been bothering me. After reading some more great stuff at DPFM, I was able to correct the tonal issues using levels. It definitely helped; now I'm seeing more of her sweet pink skin and less grey. Also, I'd like an honest opinion on whether the eyes and softened skin look fake? Of course, I want them to be enhanced but not fakey looking! Do I need to bring the opacity down on either of them?

(before levels adjustment)


(after levels adjustment)
*I did the levels adjustment on top of all the other editing I did because I was in a hurry to see improvement. I realize that ideally I'd want to adjust the levels first before doing the other stuff.

*original post* K was playing in the window this evening when I realized how great the lighting was. I ran and grabbed my camera, and we had one of the sweetest, most pleasant photo shoots to date (I've pretty much given up on "planning" a photo session because they are such little stinkers and typically refuse to cooperate AT ALL). There were so many cute shots, I will probably have to post more. Not tonight though. I'm already up way past my bedtime! :o)

3 comments:

Fle said...

Lee, what was your f stop? It doesn't look like you had enough DOF to get her whole face in focus (both eyes are OOF, but the right more than the left... looks like her bangs were the focal point). You could either close down a little or step back a few feet. Also on the larger pic I can tell there was some smoothing.. maybe lower the opacity a little. For the eye sharpening, I think it can sometimes be a little awkward if the eyes aren't the the original focal point, which is why I think photogs strive for the perfect shot before starting edits. I have to check out that site, it looks cool! PS. Kate is adorable. And also, why won't my kids EVER stand by a window???

Merilee said...

Okay, thanks for the feedback, Fle. Um, my f stop was only at 2.8, I can't remember why. I need to learn more about DOF I guess. I was already crammed in the corner, so no stepping back. :o) Obviously, I was intending to focus on her eye. I don't know why it is SO hard for me to get the focus where I want it (and to recognize when it's not in focus - I guess my mommy goggles make me think a picture is better than it really is)! I've been spending a lot of time teaching myself the editing side of things. Guess it's time to do some more photography learning.

Fle said...

Aw, LEE.. it IS a beautiful phot (there's no denying that sweet little face!). Your explanation is right on-- pretty wide open (shallow DOF) and close to subject (shallow DOF). Think back to one of your first posts-- "believe" and how just the "B" was in focus. When you're working with a shallow DOF the camera's gonna focus on whatever's closest, like a forehead or tip of the nose. To get this in focus just a higher f# since you couldn't step back. FYI, I must miss about 85% of my "cute shots" trying to get the stinking red dots on the eyes! Man I just wanna plant a big ole kiss on that cheek :)

Mom*Tog - For moms who love digital photography

VIsitors

Followers